Thursday, November 05, 2009

Perspective, sometimes

In a lot of ways, we're all just playing cops and robbers, cowboys and, um, noble native Americans. The costumes are more elaborate, the co-conspirators bigger, the Sheriff flabbier, but we're all just bigger, older versions of that little kid who needed comfort and encouragement and inspiration and, sometimes, a monster check under the bed.

Once in a blue moon, I have a moment of perspective. This, I realize, is what I have amounted to. This is that kid's life. Cool. I didn't win the Nobel prize - maybe it's not too late - but I did things I never imagined, did things I did imagine, and I think the little version of me that's been along for the ride is pretty pleased. Not smug, not without regrets, not without scars that have healed and scars that will never heal, but some of the stories would play well on the playground.

I really do have moments when I remember little me - or maybe little me re-emerges and takes the wheel awhile - and think, whoa. Wow.

And tonight I wondered, does President Obama ever think "whoa. I'm president. of the United. Freakin' States."? Did Bush, Reagan, Roosevelt? Forget your politics for a moment - love 'em or hate 'em - wouldn't that be a fun moment? If I were president, I would set aside a moment every day to be proud, awed, and humbled.

No comments: