Friday, November 28, 2008

Citibank: The Grinch Who Stole my Credit Limit

I'm in a real-estate-meltdown zip code. I've read about credit card companies terminating and reducing credit lines for folks in declining industries, folks who charge at rent-to-own stores, and even folks in the wrong zip code. But I continue to receive credit card solicitations. I thought my over-800 credit score made me immune to credit cutbacks. I was wrong.



Wednesday's mail contained a note from Citibank (and another pre-approved Gold card from American Express). I almost shredded Wednesday's letter, unread, since it looked just like all the balance transfer offers they send me every couple of months. I've been a Citibank customer for more than 15 years, and I've never missed a payment. I don't carry any debt outside of a small mortgage, but I do use my rewards cards for everything from purchases to monthly utility bills. I get hundreds of dollars in rewards checks this way.



My Citibank card doesn't offer rewards, and the interest rate is several points higher than my other cards (except AmEx). So I rarely use it. They do offer have a Virtual account number tool that lets me create one-time-use virtual credit cards for online transactions, so I do use my Citibank card a couple times a month. For a while there, they gave me a rebate on hardware store purchases, and I used the card a LOT more until the offer expired.



Now Citibank has cut my credit line - because I don't use their card enough. I know I'm not a super-profitable customer, since I don't carry a balance at 10%. But then, too, they'll never have to write off a penny on me. A couple percent in (ATM) transaction fees makes my bank plenty happy - wouldn't Citibank benefit from transaction fees on low-risk transactions, too?



If you ran a credit card company, wouldn't you try to keep long-term, never-missed-a-payment, no-debt customers happy? If they weren't using my card anywhere near as much as they used other cards, I would try to make my card more valuable to them. But Citibank decided to punish me for not charging a lot to their card nor carrying a balance with them. So I closed my account.



Perhaps I overreacted, since the reduction was minimal. They still left me with enough credit to buy a small car, but 1) I'm tired of the junk mail asking me to transfer my (non-existent) loans to my Citibank card, every flipping month; 2) I'm still a little burned on my Citibank stock losses (brilliant recommendation from Morgan Stanley, eh?); and 3) that's just bad business and I don't like to do business with companies that don't get it. So that's one less stack of unsolicited balance transfer checks to shred every month. Yippee!

2 comments:

David said...

You are right on. AMEX just sucked away 70k in available credit. Nevermind our credit score or payment history. We now look like we're maxed out. If this causes universal default, it could push us over the edge.

zgirl said...

Hi, David,

Thank you for your comment.

I took a look at your blog post about the situation with AmEx. You have some great links and action steps! I know how difficult it can be to run a business without credit availability, and I wish you the greatest luck getting through the squeeze.