Sunday, November 30, 2008

Universal Default: Credit's Grim Reaper

Years ago, I was in the middle of a major project when AT&T Cingular shut off my cell phone. They had changed my account number when I upgraded service, never mentioning the change in account number OR the credit balance building up under the old account number as the new account became delinquent. Eventually, we straightened it out. They got the credit balance transferred to the new account, and AT&T Cingular even "generously" agreed to waive the $25 re-connect fee and all of the late fees.

For that project I mentioned, I charged many thousands of dollars of equipment to my personal credit card. I had worked with my particular client long enough to know, without a doubt, that they would pay on time once the project was complete.

Around the same time, Chase, the company that owned my credit card, notified me that I was in Universal Default and my interest rate would now be 29%. I called to ask why, and they said I had made a late payment to someone. They would not tell me who was reporting the late payment. They would not reconsider their decision, and no one at the company would tell me, specifically, why I was in Universal Default. Now, many years later, I realize that the AT&T Cingular snafu was right around the same time - but, back then, I didn't know what Chase was talking about. So I had no choice but to pay the usurious interest rate until I could pay off the account. If Chase had simply raised my interest rate (absent the declaration of Universal Default), I could refuse to accept the higher rate, close my account, and pay the balance at the prior interest rate. In Universal Default, I had no such right of refusal. My interest rate climbed 19% immediately, retroactively (on balances charged at the lower rate), and with no recourse.

Meanwhile, Universal Default can be invoked by other creditors (that's why it's Universal - if one company says you're in default, any other company with Universal Default can apply Universal Default terms to your account). So my backup line of credit was pulled. I ended up selling my second car to get through the pinch, and, of course, I cancelled my Chase account. I will never do business with them again. Ever.

I was very, very fortunate that my Universal Default nightmare only lasted a few months before I was able to tell Chase to shove my full and final payment up their, um, closed accounts file. In the meantime, I got an ugly glimpse of Universal Default. I learned one of the unanticipated risks of carrying a balance on credit cards, and I changed how I manage money.

If you carry a balance on your credit cards, it might benefit you to become positively paranoid about avoiding Universal Default. Make sure that every bill is paid on time. Check your credit limit online in between billing periods. And pay off that balance as quick as you can, because banks are looking for new sources of revenue right now.

I should have fought back.

In retrospect, I accepted Chase's actions far too easily. I should have combed through the original contract terms to find out what rights I had to protest Universal Default. I should have gotten a copy of my credit report, so I could fight the Universal Default designation with hard evidence. I should have contacted the local legal clinic for advice and a strongly worded letter. But, at the time, I had no clue how I could prove that I hadn't missed payments on anything. (Running a new business, I didn't have a lot of money to hire a lawyer).

If I had gone into Universal Default because of an unknown credit line reduction, I would fight it with every resource available to me. It's one thing to invoke Universal Default for an action the consumer should have known about (a late payment); it's quite a different and dirty and sleazy and most-likely-illegal thing to invoke Universal Default for an action the bank took, which the consumer wouldn't have known about until after exceeding a lowered credit limit.

If I went into Universal Default for exceeding a lowered credit line before receiving notice that the credit line was lowered, I would become the squeakiest wheel the bank ever heard. I would make a complaint with http://www.consumer-action.org/ and http://www.consumersunion.org/. I would be willing to testify to Congress and/or tell my story to the media. And you bet your buttons I would contact every one of my elected representatives, state and federal, asking for help. Now that we taxpayers are direct investors in the credit card companies, our government reps are sort of like the banks' unofficial, unwanted Board of Inept Directors. I think that's a bad thing, but if some good can come of that bad thing, then I'd use it. Banks want continuing help from the government, so they are probably a little more responsive to Congresspeoples' inquiries right now - and it wouldn't hurt for our reps to better understand how these banks really do business.

Interesting reading: http://www.consumer-action.org/news/articles/2008_credit_card_survey/ Note that these are survey responses by banks. I can tell you right now that some of the answers - from my own card issuer(s) and those I've read junk mail from recently - are flat-out wrong. Citibank's response to "Would you ever reduce my credit limit?" was No. But it's interesting what the banks will admit (like charging a late fee if the due date is a weekend or holiday when they are closed).

No comments: