Friday, November 28, 2008

Will this reduce my credit score?

A couple of things that go into our credit scores include how much of our credit lines we have ever used. The credit report details our current balance, high balance, and credit limit. If a consumer runs their credit card up to the limit and then goes over the limit, it looks - to the facile programming logic of a credit-scoring computer - like that person is financially irresponsible. It's not good to exceed your credit limit. But if your credit limit gets lowered to less than your highest balance, it can look like you have been irresponsible in keeping track of your spending.

When Citibank cut my credit limit, it may have reduced my credit score. I don't remember if I've ever used the full credit line. But, in any event, the proportion of my high balance to my new credit limit will be less favorable. Closing my oldest charge account won't help, either - FICO takes into account the age of accounts, with older accounts showing a longer history of responsible payment. Since I don't have other revolving debt, the proportional hit will be bigger.

If this lowers my credit score - especially since I still live in Sacramento metro, one of the areas hardest hit by the housing downturn - my other credit cards could potentially reduce my credit limits or close my account. No big deal; if all of my credit cards were terminated, I could still use my rewards ATM/visa card, but it wouldn't give me the consumer protections that credit cards provide.

No comments: